The command is
The following usages enhance speed. There are caveats for each.
- Don’t do this if you use compression :-)
FSUTIL behavior set disablecompression 1
- Don’t do this if you use Microsoft built-in encryption!
FSUTIL behavior set disableencryption 1
- This one interferes with some backup and file-sync systems.
FSUTIL behavior set disablelastaccess 1
- This will interfere with very old software, or software whose updates do not comply with Microsoft’s recommended practices, especially involving DOS-style short filenames.
FSUTIL behavior set disable8dot3 1
- Designates more RAM for disk cache. Only use if you have ample RAM. Default is zero, 1 is an option.
FSUTIL behavior set memoryusage 2
This one may decrease speed a tad, but should increase reliability. Does not work with system drives, it is unclear as to why.
FSUTIL resource setconsistent E:\
This one resets NTFS transaction logs at reboot, this can eliminate many issues of filesystem slowdown over time which have to do with a kind of corruption which CHKDSK does not catch.
fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\
This one reserves more disk space for file tables; can be 1, 2, 3, or 4. Makes handling of large quantities of files more efficient. Unfortunately only helps for partitions created after the setting is made.
FSUTIL behavior set mftzone 4